Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Ruthie's Eyes' Newest Member

Hello, my name is Sheena, and I am the newest member of the Ruthie’s Eyes team.  While I haven’t been doing make-up professionally for an extended period of time, I truly believe that I have finally found what it is that I am supposed to be doing with my life.  First, let me give you some background on my journey to become a part of the team!

My whole life I have loved make-up, whether it was as a child drawing eye shadow and lipstick on my Barbie’s, or in high school experimenting with different looks on myself.  As I came into my mid-twenties I really started trying new looks on me and my friends.  I have been in more than a handful of weddings and I always loved getting my makeup done and watching closely to what the different makeup artists would do.  I always loved makeup, but never thought I could have a career in it. 

So in the meantime I fell into a Full-Time job doing Financial Aid, and eventually worked my way up to a Director-level position.  While the money was good and I actually excelled in the position there was no passion for what I was doing.  I got married a few years after my promotion, was pregnant shortly following the wedding, and was a mommy before my 1—year anniversary.  It was only after having my son that I realized how important it was for me to do something that I was truly passionate about.  If I was going to leave my baby to go to work it had to be worth it to me.  I wanted something flexible, something fun, and something I loved. 

My husband loved his job already, but was working on some things there as well, and in talking one day we decided that this year would be our “YES” year.  We would take every chance we could to do anything that came our way.  We would chase our dreams and see where we ended up.  I took this challenge serious and even drove up to New York to audition for Wheel of Fortune one Thursday afternoon.  Needless to say, that did not work out to well for me, but at least I can say I went. J  With that out of the way I decided that make-up was where my heart was and that I was going to do whatever it took to start my new career.  But finding time between work and my home-life to go back to school full-time would prove to be an impossible challenge.  So it looked like my dream would have to wait.

I went to Ruth to get a spray-tan a few days before my friend’s wedding and was talking about how I was interested in make-up, how I had a passion for it, and how I had looked into make-up programs and just couldn't afford to take time off and do any of them.  Next thing I knew it was 2 weeks later and I was standing behind her in a bride’s kitchen beginning the start of the rest of my life.  I've loved every second of it and haven’t looked back once.  The best part about it was that I was good at it.  It was something that didn't feel like work.  I was excited to leave the house versus dreading it as I had felt in the past. Every new event I did just further validated that I had made the right choice.  I am more excited now than ever for my future with Ruthie’s Eyes.



Being a part of this team has truly inspired me and has opened up a creative side of myself that I never knew existed. I love helping people to see themselves in a different light by enhancing what’s already there.  I look forward to seeing and working with you in the future!  

2 comments:

  1. I have worked with Sheena recently and wanted to share a little about my experience. Sheena did my makeup for a wedding in October and I could not have been happier!! I am not a girl who wears makeup regularly and have gotten my makeup done for weddings previously and was never happy. I always felt like I had makeup caked on and was uncomfortable with the way I looked. Sheena took the time to ask me questions about what I wanted and encouraged me to be honest with her so we could get it right. She also uses an awesome line of makeup which is natural and good for your skin. When she was done i loved the way I looked and most importantly felt like myself. And on the first try, there was not one thing I wanted changed. For not having years of experience, Sheena was extremely professional and a natural. It's obvious when someone loves what they do. Thank you Sheena for making me look and feel beautiful and for my favorite picture of my husband and I. We got a picture that night and it is one of my favorites! I will definetly be hiring you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheena this is so exciting! I'm so happy for you and inspired by the way you pursued your new found passion! Love you!

    ReplyDelete