Thursday, January 9, 2014

Three Days of DIY

So for the past 72 hours, my life was consumed with a "small" DIY project (so I thought).

I woke up Sunday hoping to take my kids sledding again, only to realize that the pouring/freezing rain wasn't going to let that happen.  Being that I am not very good at staying put and not having something to do all the time...I decided that my husband and I were going to refinish the kitchen cabinets.  

We had been talking about it for weeks and had just ordered a new counter-top last week, so it was time.  Had I known how much time said project was going to take and how it would take over my house, I would have happily paid someone to do it :)

BUT looking back I am honestly really glad we did it!  I would definitely recommend it if you like doing things yourself and you're looking for a less-costly solution to replacing your old cabinets.  

Basically, we purchased the Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformation kit from Home Depot for $75,  paint brushes, disposable gloves, and microfiber cloths and got to work. The toughest part was waiting a couple of hours between painting (about 6 different coats of paint and gloss), and not painting while the kids were awake, which is why it took place over three days.  My dining room table was in my living room with the contents of all these cabinets the entire time, so the first floor was pretty much off limits for the kids.
At one point I was cooking chili in the crock pot, in the living room...in retrospect, not my best idea.  Takeout, takeout, takeout.
When all is said and done though, our cabinets went from a dated wood look, to a clean white cabinet that my boys will surely have their fingerprints all over in no time!  It cost us around $100 and I'm sure when a little time passes, I would gladly be up to doing again at some point.  I always love a good DIY project even if it's a little challenging.  

The end result is almost always worth it!
-Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment