Monday, March 24, 2014

A Spring Bucket List

I'm not going to talk about the type of weather we had the last 4 months. Instead, I wanted to talk about the next 6 months (hopefully) of warmth and how I would like to make the most of my time when this happens.  I came up with a bucket list for Spring/Summer so that I can truly appreciate the change of seasons and remind myself that while they are fleeting, they always come back. If they never left us in the Fall, we might not appreciate them and all of the wonderful lifestyle changes they bring!  For a reminder: http://www.3191milesapart.com/?p=7185

1. Starting at home...I am definitely going to plant a vegetable garden, and possibly take care of it this year. If I can at least grow the ingredients to make a good salsa, I'll be happy.


2. Next...I plan on taking lots of walks, with friends especially...it will be great for both catching up and finally getting some much needed exercise.

3. Al Fresco dining please: last summer my family and some friends checked out the Philadelphia Horticulture Society's outdoor Pop up garden off of broad street. It was a kid friendly space filled with tons of picnic tables, benches and chairs, and it had a Jose Garces food truck in the garden. Enough said, it was awesome.  Days like those need to happen more often. Here's the Philly mag guide to dining outdoors: http://www.phillymag.com/articles/al-fresco-summer-dining-philadelphia/



4. Day trips:  Even if weeks of vacation aren't in our near future, I would love to make as many day trips with my family as possible this year.  Some ideas are boating in Marsh Creek, visiting New Hope (I've heard it's a pretty cute little town), Dutch Wonderland with the kids, and The Academy of Natural Sciences to see those dinosaurs my son would freak out over.


5. Parks and more parks: Springtime means tons of new parks to visit in Philadelphia. It's nice to make a day out of going to a play area instead of visiting the same local parks. One of my favorites is Sisters City Park. Parents can watch their kids play in a filtered "pond" area while enjoying lunch from the adjacent Milk and Honey Cafe.  Eakins Oval also opened up a pop up play area last year with different themes every week and of course...different gourmet food trucks everyday.



Do you have a Spring/Summer Bucket list? Share your ideas with us!

I hope you all make the best of the upcoming season change!

- Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment