Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Stir Crazy Snow Days

I don’t know about all of you but we have been trapped in our house for three days now due to the snow.  I was able to get out back to play yesterday with my 2 year old for a half hour while the baby napped, but all we had time for was one little snow man. So what to do with the rest of your day when your snowed in with little ones?  I’m trying to get creative before I resort to hours of Pixar movies.   

Here are some of the things we’ve been doing:
1.    Scavenger hunts:  This is an easy way to make the most of the mess of toys in my basement.  Grab some paper and markers, draw numerous items you can spot throughout the room, and let your toddler do the rest.  They get to look for each item and then check it off when they find it.  Piece of cake.



2.  Make Wrapping Paper:  I have a giant roll of brown paper from Home Depot lying around the house.  To save some money, I decided this would be our Christmas wrapping paper this year, and it also doubles as a great art project for kids.  Roll out the paper, get out the red and green paint, and let your kids do the rest.  The family always appreciates a nice homemade item, and this is just the wrapping paper!


3.  Baking, baking, baking;  This is my go-to if we have nothing left to do.  Let your kids make a mess, there’s plenty of time to clean up later.  And between letting them measure the ingredients, add them to the batter, mixing, scooping, and decorating later, it definitely takes up a good piece of time!


Aside from that I hope you all get to stay safe and warm today and enjoy the beautiful scenery outside!

Please share your snow day ideas with us :) 

-Colleen 

1 comment:

  1. The wrapping paper idea is brilliant! I need to remember that for next year when Matthew is a little older! Thanks Colleen!

    ReplyDelete